The year-end holidays are a great time of year. It is always fun to get together with co-workers to share in the seasons’ festivities. However, holidays can be an especially dangerous time because many people celebrate by over-consumption of alcohol, making themselves susceptible to related troubles. Almost 40 percent of all holiday traffic fatalities involve alcohol. Due to the safety, dangers, and liabilities involved, companies and individuals alike are coming to the realization that there are ways to organize a fun, yet safe party that will prevent people from becoming the next statistic. With the growth of social media, that last thing you want is a picture of you or your employees dancing on a table posted on YouTube, Facebook or LinkedIn.
Here are a few tips to consider:
- Limit alcohol use. If your event is at a restaurant, limit complimentary drinks to one or two per person.
- Consider serving wine and beer only rather than hard alcohol.
- Using a caterer or restaurant for your party can limit your personal and/or company liability.
- Don’t make your party mandatory (if it is during off-business hours).
- Limit the party length to about 3 hours if it will be during a ‘meal’ time, 2 hours if it is just a snacks and drinks event.
- Don’t allow people to mix drinks on their own.
- Make it clear that no drug use will be tolerated.
- Insist on a ride home to anyone you think needs one.
- Have cab numbers on hand. If someone should not be driving and they insist on going home, call a cab for them instead of allowing them to take the risk of driving home.
- Have a good selection of food and non- alcoholic drinks available.
All of us here at Partners Risk Services want to wish you a safe and joyous holiday season.