December is filled with many wonderful office events including the company Holiday party. However, without the appropriate precautionary measures, legal consequences can quickly dampen the festive nature of these company-sponsored events. With the growth of social media, that last thing you want is a picture of yourself dancing on the table posted on YouTube, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Also, almost 40 percent of all holiday traffic fatalities involve alcohol. Here are a few thoughts as you start planning for your company event.
Business Insurance And The Company Party
Most commercial insurance policies will cover any liability as long as the claim is covered under the commercial policy. If you offer alcohol and charge for it, you may want to consider a liquor liability policy.
Holiday Party Safety Tips
- Remind your employees about the company’s harassment policy.
- Limit alcohol to two or three drinks per person.
- Offer free rides home for those who may need it
- Serve wine and beer rather than hard alcohol. A 12 oz. can of beer has roughly the same amount of alcohol as a 6 oz. glass of wine and a 1.5 oz. shot of whiskey.
- Do not make your party mandatory.
- Leave out the mistletoe. This particular decoration can lead to inappropriate contact between employees.
- Make it clear that no drug use will be tolerated.
- Have a good selection of food and non-alcohol drinks.
- Don’t allow the party to go late into the night.
- Don’t allow people to mix drinks on their own.
Partners Risk Services represents a carefully selected group of financially strong, reputable insurance companies, therefore, we are able to offer you the best coverage at the most competitive price.