Having the right kind of business insurance is very important to every business, because you rely on business insurance to protect your assets in the event of a fire, theft or other loss. In 2016, there were over 374,000 commercial fires which caused 2,300 deaths and over 7,400,000,000 of damage. (FEMA Report) Here are some actions you can take that may reduce the severity of a loss if and when a loss does occur.
While these may not prevent every loss from occurring, these may help reduce the likelihood of having a loss.
Safety Checklist for Businesses
- Test smoke detectors monthly
- Check fire doors. They are not permitted to be propped open by wedges or any other temporary device.
- Make sure nonessential electrical equipment is turned off at the end of the workday.
- Are all exits clearly defined and visible?
- Keep exits unlocked during business hours.
- Be sure the area directly around the sprinkler head is free of obstructions. Move any items that are stored within about a foot and a half from the sprinklers.
- Require spills of flammable or combustible liquids and hazardous materials to be cleaned up promptly.
- All exit doors should be able to be opened from the direction of exit travel without the use of a key or any special knowledge or effort.
- Have a safe assembly point for employees outside the building.
We are Independent Agents, free to choose the best carrier for your insurance needs. We do not work for an insurance company; we work for you. We work on your side when you have a loss and follow through to see that you get fair, prompt payment and service. Partners Risk Services represents a carefully selected group of financially strong, reputable insurance companies, therefore, we are able to offer you the best coverage at the most competitive price.