Business Insurance update
This is the time of year when your business will be hiring part time workers to help you manage the holiday season. For the most part, you will not need to modify your business insurance, but if you add new classifications or payroll, it may affect your workers’ compensation insurance. Now might be a good time to have us complete a review of all your business insurance policies.
Here are few tips to help you manage seasonal employees
- Make sure seasonal employees get the same training as all other employees.
- Conduct background screenings on seasonal candidates.
- Unless the job requires it, it is not a good idea to give seasonal employees access to computers or other secure information.
- Don’t allow seasonal employees to work alone.
- Remember the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires employers to properly classify workers, pay the legal minimum wage, and pay overtime if applicable.
- Seasonal employees should also read and sign the employee handbook.
- Your business is legally required to carry workers’ compensation insurance coverage, as most fair-employment laws cover seasonal employees.
- If you notice cliques or bad habits forming, don’t assume that they will self-correct.
- Employers with 15 or more employees are subject to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and other federal and state employment laws. This means your seasonal employees, just like your regular workforce, must receive adequate training on what conduct is illegal, how to report it, and how to request a reasonable accommodation.
- Maintain a detailed account of where each employee works, the kinds of tasks they are assigned, number of hours completed, and their rate of pay.
- When it is time to end the seasonal employment, follow the same procedures as you would with a full-time or permanent employee.
We are Independent Agents, free to choose the best carrier for your insurance needs. We do not work for an insurance company; we work for you. We work on your side when you have a loss and follow through to see that you get fair, prompt payment and service. Partners Risk Services represents a carefully selected group of financially strong, reputable insurance companies, therefore, we are able to offer you the best coverage at the most competitive price.